Friday 6 April 2012

BEDA 6.1: Before I go to sleep

I've been rubbish at reading lately, for the past six months reading hasn't been at the top of my agenda or anywhere on it to be fair. My lack of concentration tying me to any book started to annoy me. However when I was sick last week my mum did what my mum does best and bought me a book. I'd been after Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson for a while. I heard about it on the Richard and Judy podcast and the concept really interested me.

Before I go to sleep is one of those books that you cannot put down. It follows the story of Christine, when we meet Christine we find that due to some incident Christine lost her memory, not only this but she is unable to retain new memories, whenever she falls asleep the memories disappear. This means that Christine wakes up every morning not knowing the man lying next to her or why she is no longer the 20 something she thought she was, when she looks in the mirror now she meets a forty, nearly fifty year old with no history. Her husband then has to explain the basics of what has happened to her. As the book progresses the story is told through Christines journal which she is encouraged to keep by the young attractive Doctor Nash who is attempting to help her regain her memory. I don't really want to say too much about what we find out throughout the book in fear of spoiling the plot but the constant twists and turns in the plot kept me interested. I always thought I'd stop at the next chapter and find myself reading that bit more. Also I didn't completely work out the ending, I did get onto one bit but it wasn't in the same way as I was imaginging it. I love writers that have the ability to do that, keep you guessing until the very last minute.

It's well written and what I'd describe as an easy read, there's never a point where you wouldn't understand the language or feel that it's too complicated. With Christine having so much to focus on during the story her diaries feel like a rush of emotion that they would be. I can't imagine how confusing it must be to wake up every morning and not know where you are or who you are for that matter. I can imagine you must feel so robbed that such large parts of your life have been taken away from you.

The book definitely made me think about how our lives and personalities are made up. It's something that I've thought about before when looking at photographs. How much do our memories shift and alter over time and how much of what I remember is having an affect on how I act now. If I couldn't remember those things what kind of person would I be? You live and learn as many songs have sung but what happens if you have nothing to learn from? I did wonder in the book that as Christines memories started coming back would her personality change along with it? Her priorities and views would be manipulated by the things that she learns and the personal growth that comes with that.

All in all I found this to be a really interesting book, it kept me at the edge of my seat for the entire journey and constantly guessing the secrets. I would give it a 4 out of 5, definitely something I would recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment